Monday, January 11, 2010

12.01.2010 8am

There is now only about 19 days to go until i set off on this journey that will take me all around New Zealand on a push bike, and i still do not think i fully realise how much of an adventure this journey will be.

Sure i am preparing, i have paid off the 2nd hand trailer i will use to carry all my stuff, including my camera gear, sleeping stuff, cooker and food, i have been for a couple of longish rides on my bike (one was 75kms) and found the distance to be reasonable, but this thing is going to take me three months to complete, i will be doing those distances every day with no scheduled rest days *begins to wonder if i should have included rest days* and a lot of variables that could make my journey very 'adventurous' indeed.

I have tried to get support for what i am doing by writting to businesses, letting people know at my part time job, and via friends on the internet etc, but it seems most people are more interested in their own lives than what i'm up to, so i think my biggest challenge initially will be building the continued motivation to complete this journey on my own, to not only believe in my ability to do this (which i know i have or i wouldnt have begun the process) but the belief that i am doing this for more than myself, that by me doing this someone out there will be motivated to believe in themself just a little bit more, and that may be enough for them to do something that shows the rest of the world that even though bad things can happen to good people, good people still do good things for other people, and that not only motivates themselves, but other around them, because we all can make a difference in other peoples lives.

There is not long until this whole thing begins, at the moment it seems like the only person this matters to is me, and so i think i now have to work just a little harder to show others that this journey is one that is worth sharing, one that everyone can get involved with, because at the end of this i would like to look back and see that i helped make a difference in a few of our childrens lives, that i helped make a difference in our future, so it is time to step things up a gear.

Only 19 more days to go...

1 comment:

  1. Ey K, counting down with you bro ! If down South anything's up let me know, most of the first weeks you're on driving distance from Chch. Go for it, even though it seems people don't care, I'm sure there's people who do, and the main thing is doing it for you and for the kids you want to support with it. My theory is that even if it would only change the life of one person it would make a difference ! Respect !!!!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

Followers